If you’ve been the victim of a hit and run accident in Hammond, Louisiana, you may be wondering what legal options are available to you. Hit and run accidents can be devastating, resulting in injuries, property damage, and emotional trauma. At Pierce & Shows, our experienced car accident lawyers are here to help you understand the penalties for hit and run in Hammond and guide you through the legal process.
As proud members of the legal community in Hammond, our lawyers have deep roots in the community and take pride in providing quality legal representation to those in our community. We have built strong relationships with many of our Louisiana clients. As a result, generations of families have come to us for guidance through the years.
Penalties for Hit and Run in Hammond
Under Louisiana law, leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offense.
The penalties for hit and run in Hammond depend on the severity of the accident and the extent of the damage and injuries. In general, the penalties for hit and run in Louisiana may include fines, jail time, and driver’s license suspension.
- If the accident resulted in only minor property damage, the penalties may include a fine of up to $500 and up to six months in jail.
- If the accident resulted in injury or death, the penalties are much more severe:
- A hit and run resulting in injury may result in a fine of up to $5,000 and up to ten years in prison.
- A hit and run resulting in death may result in a fine of up to $10,000 and up to 20 years in prison.
In addition to criminal penalties, hit and run drivers may also face civil liability. Victims of hit and run accidents may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation for their injuries and damages.
How Can a Car Accident Attorney Help Me After My Hammond Hit and Run?
If you have been the victim of a hit and run accident in Louisiana, a car accident attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options.
Hit and run accidents can be complicated, and it can be difficult to identify the other driver and hold them accountable for their actions.
An experienced car accident attorney can help you with the following:
- Investigating the accident
- Gathering evidence
- Working with law enforcement to identify the other driver
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation for your injuries and damages
Damages you may be able to recover include:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of medical treatment for your injuries, such as hospital bills, doctor’s visits, and medication.
- Lost wages: If your injuries have prevented you from working, you may be able to recover compensation for the income you have lost.
- Property damage: If your vehicle or other property was damaged in the accident, you may be able to recover the cost of repairs or replacement.
- Pain and suffering: This includes compensation for the physical pain and emotional distress you have experienced as a result of the accident.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, the court may award punitive damages to punish the at-fault driver for their reckless or intentional behavior.
It’s important to note that the amount of damages you can recover will depend on the severity of your injuries and the extent of your damages. Working with an experienced personal injury attorney can help ensure that you receive fair compensation for your losses.
Contact Pierce & Shows Today
If you have been the victim of a hit and run accident in Hammond, don’t hesitate to contact Pierce & Shows today. Our experienced personal injury lawyers will listen to your story, answer any questions you may have, and help you understand your legal options.