Driving a motorcycle is a great experience– you can feel free and can feel the wind and sun against you. This connection to nature is incredible but can have its drawbacks.
Motorcycle accidents are on average more deadly than regular car accidents, especially when it comes to head injuries.
In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, having an experienced attorney to help after a motorcycle accident can help you navigate not only the insurance claims process, but also make sure you are compensated for your medical expenses. Personal injury attorneys at Pierce & Shows can help you after such an accident occurs.
Brain injuries after motorcycle Accidents in Baton Rouge
Accidents are common in all types of road accidents, but for motorcycle accidents, the most prevalent injury for riders is a brain injury.
The severity of this type of injury is why helmet laws are enacted in Louisiana to help prevent head trauma.
Brain injuries can be severe because they can temporarily or permanently alter the way that your brain functions. For example, concussion injuries – because they are very serious – require time to heal properly.
Many people believe that concussions will always result in a loss of consciousness, but this is far from the truth. Many people sustain concussions, stay conscious, and never know that they have had one at all.
When concussions go undetected, symptoms can worsen. They may not heal fully—the most significant danger for those who have a concussion after a motorcycle accident is getting another concussion.
The symptoms of a concussion may not be prevalent from the start – but when they do become known, they can last for days, weeks, or even months. This can vary based on each person’s circumstances, including:
- Past concussions
- How quickly the injury is caught
The symptoms of concussions can vary but will generally affect your thinking and remembering, physical being, emotions, and sleep.
Here are the phases that you may experience:
- Phase 1: Difficulty thinking clearly, headache or blurry vision, irritability, sleeping more than usual
- Phase 2: Feeling slowed down, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, sadness, sleeping less than usual
- Phase 3: Difficulty concentrating, sensitivity to noise or light, balance problems, more emotional, trouble falling asleep
- Phase 4: Difficulty remembering new information, feeling tired, having no energy, nervousness, or anxiety
Consult a Doctor if You Think Your Accident Led to a Brain Injury
After an accident, it is recommended that you go and see a doctor.
Not only can they help identify any injuries that have occurred that you may not have noticed, but they can help monitor things such as a concussion and help catch it before the symptoms and effects worsen.
Keeping detailed medical records can help in the future with the financial impact, the healing process, and any potential lawsuit down the road.
Financial Impact of Brain Injuries After an Accident
Brain injuries are notorious for being one of the most expensive types of injuries.
They can come with a significant financial burden that can devastate a household, sometimes well into or even after recovery.
Economic costs you might be facing after a concussion from a motorcycle accident include:
- Medical expenses- such as ambulance and emergency services, hospitalization, diagnostic imaging of your brain, follow-up visits for persistent symptoms, pain medication, and in the most severe cases, surgery
- Rehabilitation expenses – sessions with physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and behavioral therapists
- Long-term nursing care
- Home modifications- protective changes can make a home more accessible for the victim, but even the most minor expensive fixes can add up to thousands of dollars
- Replacement services
- Lost wages
Contact Pierce & Shows Personal Injury Attorneys Today
If you have struggled with a concussion after a motorcycle accident, you might be eligible to seek compensation depending on the circumstances of your accident. It’s essential to contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible to learn about your best course of action.
Pierce & Shows provides compassionate representation to motorcycle accident victims in and around Baton Rouge. If you or a loved one have suffered a concussion due to a motorcycle accident, contact our practice to learn more about your rights to compensation and a free consultation.