If you are like a number of other drivers in Louisiana and across the country, you have gotten irritated while waiting in traffic, especially if you are running late to work or an important appointment.
Driving behind a slow motorist or in rush hour can be frustrating, and it is easy for some people to lose their patience while behind the wheel. In some cases, road rage may take over, and the driver may start to engage in dangerous driving behaviors that could put others on the road at risk.
The unfortunate reality is that road rage can sometimes lead to serious accidents. From our dedicated car accident attorneys at Pierce & Shows in Baton Rouge, here’s what you should keep in mind about accidents caused by road rage.
Road Rage in Baton Rouge
According to AAA, nearly 80% of U.S. drivers admit to having experienced road rage. While males are more likely to engage in aggressive driving, women drivers are also to blame.
It is important to be on the lookout for aggressive drivers so that you can avoid becoming involved in a car accident.
Keep an eye out for the following signs of an aggressive driver in Baton Rouge:
- Speeding or racing other vehicles
- Running stop signs or traffic signals
- Turning out in front of other vehicles or cutting off cars
- Tailgating or following too closely behind other vehicles
- Erratic lane changing throughout traffic
- Excessive honking or yelling out obscenities at other drivers
Aggressive drivers may even bump into other vehicles or get out of their cars to start an altercation with another driver. Road rage is a continued problem, and knowing how to handle a bad situation could help if you are ever faced with an aggressive driver.
What to Do When You Encounter Road Rage in Baton Rouge
If you find yourself a victim of road rage or witness aggressive driving behaviors, remember these essential tips:
- Stay Calm and Avoid Engagement: If another driver’s behavior upsets you, resist the urge to retaliate. Engaging with aggressive drivers can escalate the situation and increase the risk of an accident. If you have a dash cam on your car, this is a great time to use it to document any incident.
- Report Aggressive Driving: If you witness dangerous driving behaviors, report them to the appropriate authorities. Your action may prevent a potential car accident and contribute to safer roads for everyone.
- Create a Safe Distance: If you encounter an aggressive driver, maintain a safe following distance. Give yourself room to react if their behavior becomes more dangerous.
- Use Defensive Driving Techniques: Be aware of your surroundings, anticipate potential hazards, and stay focused on the road. Defensive driving can help you avoid becoming a victim of road rage incidents.
If the road rage you encounter does cause an accident, it’s important to remain calm and act accordingly:
- Check yourself and others for injuries
- Call the authorities so that you can get an accident report
- Document the scene of the crash
- Exchange contact information with the other driver and witnesses
- Seek medical attention
- Get in touch with a Baton Rouge personal injury attorney ASAP
Contact Pierce & Shows Today
At Pierce & Shows, we want to emphasize the importance of staying vigilant and calm while driving in Baton Rouge. Whether you’re commuting on I-10, navigating the city streets, or winding through the historic Third Street, patience and courtesy go a long way in preventing road rage incidents. If you or a loved one has been injured due to road rage, our dedicated team is here to help. Contact us today to discuss your case.