Car accidents are stressful enough, but if a driver hits you and doesn’t stop to provide personal information or render reasonable aid, that stress and worry can skyrocket. Not only is hit-and-run a criminal offense in Baton Rouge, but being the victim of one can limit your options for recourse.
We’re going to look at what your options are, following a hit-and-run on I-10, as well as whether or not you’ll need a lawyer to file your claim for damages. We’ll also look at how Pierce & Shows can become your trusted personal injury claim attorney.
What Are My Legal Options After A Hit-And-Run In Baton Rouge?
There are generally only two options for drivers that have been the victim of a hit-and-run, and in some cases, both may be exercised.
- File A Claim With Your Insurer: The first and most common option is to file a claim with your own insurance company. Depending on your policy and coverage levels you may be able to file a claim for hit-and-run. In some cases, you may need to have uninsured motorist coverage, depending on the requirements of your insurer. If the at-fault driver is never found, this is generally the only option to get compensation.
- Find & Sue The Driver: If an investigation does turn up the driver, you should be able to file suit against them for damages. In addition to the financial or economic damages, you may also be able to claim compensation for mental anguish as well, caused by their fleeing the scene of the accident.
Do I Need A Lawyer For A Hit-And-Run On I-10 In Baton Rouge?
While it is not legally required for you to get a lawyer if you are involved in a hit-and-run on I-10 in Baton Rouge, it is highly recommended.
A hit-and-run can be a complicated and stressful situation, and having an experienced lawyer on your side can help you navigate the legal and insurance process, protect your rights, and ensure that you receive the maximum compensation you deserve.
Some of the benefits of hiring a lawyer include:
- Investigation assistance: An experienced lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation into the hit-and-run, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and working with law enforcement to identify the responsible party.
- Insurance claim-building: A lawyer will help you navigate the insurance claims process, negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that you receive a fair settlement, and handle any disputes that may arise.
- Legal representation: If the responsible party is found, a lawyer can represent you in court and ensure that your rights are protected. They will also represent you in court if your insurer refuses to settle reasonably.
- Recovery of damages: A lawyer can help you recover damages for expenses such as medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Peace of mind: Hiring a lawyer can provide you with peace of mind and allow you to focus on recovering from the accident, knowing that your case is being handled by an experienced professional.
If you have been involved in a hit-and-run on I-10 in Baton Rouge, it is highly recommended that you consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced lawyer can help you understand your rights and options and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Pierce & Shows Can Help Protect Your Rights Following A HIt-And-Run In Baton Rouge
If you were the victim of a hit-and-run in Baton Rouge, your primary focus should be on physically healing and emotionally recovering from the ordeal – not chasing down evidence and fighting with the insurance company. When you work with Pierce & Shows, we’ll take care of all of the legal legwork for you, so you can concentrate on recovery. Reach out today to talk about the details of your claim with a member of our legal team.